Are you like us and love cats? How much do you actually know about the feline species? Well, we might just blow your mind!
Here are some fun cat facts to test your knowledge because you can never know too many facts, especially about our feline friends.
Read on below for 15 fun fact!
- A group of cats is called a clowder
- Adult cats only meow to communicate with humans
- Despite the constant association between cats and milk, most cats are actually lactose intolerant. So maybe hold off giving your cats a lot of milk.
- If you’ve noticed your cat seems to always be sleeping don’t worry, it’s completely normal. The average cat can sleep 16-18 hours per day
- Cats have the ability to jump approximately 6 times its height
- If a cat falls from 5 storeys up they have about a 90% chance of surviving. They really live up to the idea that a cat always lands on its feet!
- Cats greet each other by touching their noses together, similar to how us humans handshake when we greet each other
- Cats are unable to taste sweet things
- Cats were worshipped in ancient Egypt and were often considered sacred. Something cats seem to have not forgotten to this day
- Similar to how each human has a unique fingerprint, each cat has a unique print on their nose
- Most female cats are right pawed while most male cats are left pawed.
- Cats can make over 100 vocal sounds. In comparison, dogs can only make 10 vocal sounds
- A female cat is called a ‘queen’ or a ‘molly’
- Cats spend a large portion of their waking hours cleaning themselves. According to Cornell University’s College of Veterinary Medicine cats typically spend 30 to 50 per cent of their day cleaning and grooming themselves
- When a cat rubs against you it’s not just a sign of affection. They are actually leaving their scent on you as a way to mark their territory. Essentially letting other cats know that you belong to them.
Did you find any of these facts interesting? Any that took you by surprise? Let us know in the comments!